Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:48 am 

Good news, everyone!

The open beta for version 2.0 is finally available at the URL below. So we are asking for volunteers (as many as possible really) to test the features of the new site (from registering a new account to adding/editing data to just browsing, basically everything must be tested) so we can iron out all the remaining issues before going live.

If you find client-side bugs (javascript, CSS etc.), please note the browser you are using.

Here's a few things you need to know:
  • The beta runs independently from v1, on a snapshot copy of the current database (taken on March 24th);
  • This thread is for reporting bugs and anomalies: please post any issues here, and if needed we'll open an issue in our bug tracker for a follow-up;
  • This thread is also for general feedback of the overall features, usability, interfaces, etc.;
  • This thread is NOT for posting feature requests, sorry; at this time, feature requests are not considered for v2.0;
  • Label pages were generated from the current v1 data, with duplicates merged as much as possible; some manual corrections and merges will be necessary, but that was expected;
  • Band country tags are gone.
  • The search works a bit differently than before. Check the help page for the differences with v1 and the wide variety of new search options.
  • The band line-ups from V1 are available when you click on the "legacy line-up" link, but the V2 system allows entering band members individually so that information pages can be generated for each artist.

http://209.59.186.200/~metalarc/

Enjoy. :)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Last edited by Morrigan on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:08 am 

Whenever you report a bug, please post the browser you're using. If possible, please check if the same thing happens with other browsers.

Last edited by Evenfiel on Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
tomekjez
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:26 am 

Evenfiel wrote:
*Reserve post for bug tracking*

Sorting band by Genre and Localization - it's converted /swapped among themselves

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:27 am 

Band submission issues:

- After entering a false name, the value of the "Unsigned/Independent" checkbox is reset
- Quotation marks are escaped in the textbox (e.g., \"Stuff like this\") - this results in the backslashes being escaped too upon another unsuccessful submission ("\\", etc)
- Didn't let me submit a band name using Plane-1 Unicode characters (Gothic alphabet). Greek graphemes appeared okay to submit (as you'll notice if you check the queue). Not sure how important this is, but the fact it registered the field as being "blank" was a worry.

Last edited by Alhadis on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
VostreRoy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:28 am 

I've been using M-A since 2003-2004, so I'm pretty used to this site and the features it has. I must say that the new interface is really nice, way better than the one in the V.1. And the new feature for "Similar bands" is quite interesting, seems like a good add, hopes that it'll work well.

I've browse through several band's page, used every links I came across, no bugs whatseoever can be reported on my side. The "members" section are empty, but I think that you'll move those information later.

So nothing bad to say, sorry. Keep up the good work!

themostoriginal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:29 am 

When you are submitting a member creation form, the dialog stays open, which made me click the button more than once, creating the same person several times.

I also get this javascript error every time I try to search for a person:
"<209.59.186.200>

DataTables warning: JSON data from server could not be parsed. This is caused by a JSON formatting error."

DarkZenki
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:31 am 

well, i tried to access to the register page just to test out the site, and then immediately went to the login page to log in with my current account. when i do that, my account is logged succesfully but at the same time the site send a message telling me "the account already exist", as if i was trying to register. maybe there's some conflicts between the login and register options. i tested out the rest of the site, and it's OK. i even added an album to my collection from that site.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:33 am 

http://209.59.186.200/~metalarc/todo

-> Bands with missing releases should have an entry as well, or?
I cannot change the year of formation.

I tried to add a split album (video) and searched for a band (Emperor) and got this error message:
Quote:
DataTables warning: JSON data from server could not be parsed. This is caused by a JSON formatting error.

No result of the band was shown. (IE and Fx)

When you have an error or forgot the label while adding a release, the site should go to the top and not stay at the bottom.

When you try to add an album and want to select a month, then you will recognize a spelling error:
März and not with some strange signs.

How can I remove an artist from the line-up?
This looks pretty awful:
Moreover, it would be nice to have a 'do not add an artist twice' thing.
Furthermore, when you have added an artist the site should re-load because otherwise the information does not appear.
http://209.59.186.200/~metalarc/albums/ ... t5r/301954

I tried to submit a split and when attempting to add the line-up _before_ submitting the release to the database, I got this error:
Quote:
Error 404
Page not found

We are sorry, the page you were looking for could not be found. Perhaps the entry has been deleted, or is still pending moderation approval.

If you followed a link from an external site, it was most likely out of date. If you followed a link from within the site and believe this is an error, please report the dead URL below immediately. (Make sure to tell us where you clicked to end up on this page.)
http://209.59.186.200/~metalarc/~metala ... releaseId/

Thank you for your comprehension.

Links:
I added a link here:
http://209.59.186.200/~metalarc/bands/I ... 3540325208
The mirror in which you add something should close once you have done so. This can confuse users, because they think the task has not been done.

[Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.9.2.16) Gecko/20110319 Firefox/3.6.16] [IE 8]

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Last edited by oneyoudontknow on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:20 am, edited 13 times in total.
Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:34 am 

I'm not sure if this could be considered a "bug" or just an oversight, but the site is useless to script-disabled browsers... Does everything rely on AJAX?

(I know only a small portion of people are likely to be browsing with scripts off, but still.)

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:37 am 

Whenever you report a bug, please post the browser you're using. If possible, please check if the same thing happens with other browsers.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:40 am 

I tried logging onto the forums and got signed in, but then the page redirected me back saying I needed to register an account, but the forum page says I'm logged in as a registered user, but I still have to enter my user/pass, and it keeps redirecting me out. I'm using Firefox.

Obligatory Last FM Link

MarbhDamhsa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:44 am 

The only thing I've noticed thus far (in Chrome) is that the more info about a band doesn't expand.

Sleek new layout though. Props

User reviews are also inconsistent in being displayed - Snxke's page is completely blank, while Nightgaunt's show up

Last edited by MarbhDamhsa on Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
badlung
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:44 am 

themostoriginal wrote:
When you are submitting a member creation form, the dialog stays open, which made me click the button more than once, creating the same person several times.
"

exact same thing happened to me, im useing firefox 4

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:45 am 

(Firefox 4, Windows 7 64-bit)

The "Delete Track" button on an Add Release page doesn't appear to be having any immediate effect...

A release's Line-up tab doesn't update after adding a member to its Line-up...

Last edited by Alhadis on Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:47 am 

DarkZenki wrote:
well, i tried to access to the register page just to test out the site, and then immediately went to the login page to log in with my current account. when i do that, my account is logged succesfully but at the same time the site send a message telling me "the account already exist", as if i was trying to register. maybe there's some conflicts between the login and register options. i tested out the rest of the site, and it's OK. i even added an album to my collection from that site.

That happened to me too, but only the very first time I tried it. Now it works fine. Using Firefox 4.

Stuff for sale on Discogs

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:49 am 

I guess this would be the best place to say that I think the site looks too dark. The tint is a few notches up, whereas V1 (this site) is at a proper brightness level.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:51 am 

Review ratings can be as high as 127%

Editing band lineups does not work

Also, the colour theme dropped my pulse by a few beats.

Oh, and links in quotes are almost invisible, at least on my computer screen.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:57 am 

(Minor) Accessibility features:
- Please, please, *please* try to use labels for forms whenever possible., There's no telling how frustrating it can be to click a large caption next to a checkbox, only to find that it does nothing to toggle the value. Some of us with large screens and tiny touchpads would appreciate it.
- Mouse over state for links with background-images should, ideally, be handled using a sprite instead of a new image resource:

.btn_add_band{
background: url("images/ui-btn_band.png") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;
}

.btn_add_band:hover{
background-position: 0px -85px;
}

I'm sure you know what I'm talking about; the brief "flicker" on initial rollover can be resolved simply by offsetting the background position to reveal the image's "hover" state (shown underneath or whatever).

- Brief FOUC (Flash of unstyled content) for pages that're loading tabs... again, no biggie. Could try this as a basic means of FOUC suppression:

body.no-js #userInfo{
position: relative;
left: -999999px;
}

$(document).ready(function(){
$(".no-js").removeClass("no.js");
});

Works a cinch in my own sites. :D Script-disabled browsers can be accommodated for just by linking to a new stylesheet between <noscript> tags and replacing the "body.no-js" rules... It doesn't validate as per W3C standards, but it works to stop that FOUCing issue.

Last edited by Alhadis on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
themostoriginal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:57 am 

kingnuuuur wrote:
Editing band lineups does not work

Yes

badlung
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:00 am 

editing band members did work for me, its just that i added the member like three times cause the dialogue box didnt close when i hit save, i thought it didnt work tried it a few times and went to look for myself, three drummers all the same name haha

dethx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:00 am 

an invalid band id shows an error message with a full stack trace.
for example: http://209.59.186.200/~metalarc/bands/Dissection/-1

cbek
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:06 am 

The server can not find the requested page:

209.59.186.200/randomband.php (port 80)
Please forward this error screen to 209.59.186.200's WebMaster.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:18 am 

Alhadis wrote:
- "Edit" Button missing from Additional Notes field?

Well, that can be edited by clicking the pencil icon under the album name but... hmm, I suppose it could be confusing since the notes are in another tab.

Quote:
I'm not sure if this could be considered a "bug" or just an oversight, but the site is useless to script-disabled browsers... Does everything rely on AJAX?

(I know only a small portion of people are likely to be browsing with scripts off, but still.)

Yes, it relies a lot on AJAX; that's a conscious decision. Too bad for the people living in the stone age, I guess.

kingnuuuur wrote:

Where did you click to get there? That URL does not have a band ID...

dethx wrote:
an invalid band id shows an error message with a full stack trace.
for example: http://209.59.186.200/~metalarc/bands/Dissection/-1

Yeah, that's OK. It's because the site is in debug mode for now.

cbek wrote:
The server can not find the requested page:

209.59.186.200/randomband.php (port 80)
Please forward this error screen to 209.59.186.200's WebMaster.

Use the link in the menu on the left for random bands, not the link in the news post. That's an old post with the V1 link.

radish
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:22 am 

before i signed in on my account i decided to check out the registration page

then i logged into my account while i was on the registration page and this error message showed up

Error:

You already have an account.

#0 /home/metalarc/lib/Zend/Controller/Action.php(513): UserController->registerAction()
#1 /home/metalarc/lib/Zend/Controller/Dispatcher/Standard.php(295): Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch('registerAction')
#2 /home/metalarc/lib/Zend/Controller/Front.php(954): Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch(Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http), Object(Zend_Controller_Response_Http))
#3 /home/metalarc/www/index.php(101): Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch()
#4 {main}

not a huge issue but developers might want to catch the errors that the server is spitting out.

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:23 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
kingnuuuur wrote:

Where did you click to get there? That URL does not have a band ID...
Just got the same error:
-> Tried to submit a split and add the line-up before submitting the release to the database.

Are the country tags gone?

My podcast:

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:33 am 

Some reviews (even older ones) seem not to be appearing. For instance, while the Megadeth page looks to be complete on reviews, the Short Bus Pile Up listing for Repulsive Display Of Human Upholstry is missing the 2 older ones but has the newest. Is this a bug or was everything not transferred?

Great to see this, by the way. Thought the day would never come. I look forward to breaking the shit out of this.

Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/noktorn01

Lepernicus wrote:
Every record that dipshit sold took away money that could have went to a far more deserving band such as Immolation.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:33 am 

oneyoudontknow wrote:

Yes. We just add a country column in the listings where necessary.

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:34 am 

If the band name is too long:

and the italic part in the submission frame should have a different colour or made better visible. It is hard to distinguish ot from the rest.

My podcast:

Last edited by oneyoudontknow on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
radish
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:35 am 

I weird quirk with the site is that when you try to add an artist to the artist database from the band pages there is no indication that anything is added at any point so I'm sure in confusion the person creating the artist will probably click the save button multiple times like i did and create multiple duplicates of the same artist.

fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:37 am 

One VERY minor thing: When submitting a band, if you accidentally leave a required field blank and you have the box checked for "Unsigned/Independent", the box will uncheck in the code but will stay checked on the screen. To fix, I simply unchecked it then checked it again.

Oh, and if the Year field has a value lower than "1901" it will automatically reset to "0000".

Hebrew script works fine.

Last edited by fetalfeast on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:37 am 

When a successful search is run on any value, the drop-down bar automatically reverts to searching by band name. I think it would be more convenient if it stuck with the value you were searching for instead, so if you get an unsuccessful search you can revise it without having to touch the drop-down for categories again.

Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/noktorn01

Lepernicus wrote:
Every record that dipshit sold took away money that could have went to a far more deserving band such as Immolation.

Forlornson
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:38 am 

Font-rendering on a Mac (regardless of the browser) works differently from Windows machines. The informationlabels in the top (country of origin etc) are nearly impossible to read. I think it might be solved by using a fixed 11px font size in the CSS instead of 0.9em and maybe a tad lighter color (the colors used now are far from web-safe). I really like the new layout, been wondering for years when it would come but it'd be a shame if I cant even read its content now..

Edit: also, I am able to login to the new forums, i get a "succesfully logged in" message (and on that message I can see the items in the topmenu changed, saying Im actually logged in) but as soon as I try to move away from that page and use the forum, I'm logged out again.

Last edited by Forlornson on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:41 am 

Can someone check the search engine a bit. I am unable to find this band:
Paracoccidioidomicosisproctitissarcomucosis

I used merely 'para' but the name does not appear. Can someone second this? I only get these:

Para a Glória de Teu Nome Lúcifer Black Metal Brazil
Para Tu Eterno M.M.J.P.G.A. Black Metal Brazil
Putrefação C.M. Death Metal Brazil

My podcast:

fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:43 am 

You must add a * for wildcard searches (all bands with those letters)

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:44 am 

Forlornson wrote:
Font-rendering on a Mac (regardless of the browser) works differently from Windows machines. The informationlabels in the top (country of origin etc) are nearly impossible to read. I think it might be solved by using a fixed 11px font size in the CSS instead of 0.9em and maybe a tad lighter colour (the colours used now are far from web-safe).

Fixed font-sizes are never a solution for anything. I can only assume that the page's base font-size hasn't been reset properly.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:48 am 

Couple of things, for now (hard to keep up with the flood of posts :D):

- oneyoudontknow, I saw that you edited your first post from earlier. Please make new posts if you find new bugs, because I won't be revisiting every single post in this thread each time. Thanks.

- Yes, country tags are gone. I should probably note that in the OP.

- Check the help page about the new search features. You wanted to write para* to find Paracoccidioidomicosisproctitissarcomucosis. I should probably note that in the OP, too...

- I never had a problem with artists being added more than once... yet many are reporting this. Very strange. I will have to try to reproduce this somehow... [Edit; nevermind, this was caused by turning on the PHP Notices display... this screws up the JSON response and... well, anyway, I know what's causing it :D opening an issue in bug tracker right now, will fix this ASAP]

- So far, I have filed an official issue for the quotes problem in the bug tracker. More to come of course.

Thanks everyone, keep it up.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Animicantus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:55 am 

In the band submission, clicking the button to edit the lineup returns a 404 error.

Code:
Error 404

Page not found

We are sorry, the page you were looking for could not be found. Perhaps the entry has been deleted, or is still pending moderation approval.

If you followed a link from an external site, it was most likely out of date. If you followed a link from within the site and believe this is an error, please report the dead URL below immediately. (Make sure to tell us where you clicked to end up on this page.)

http://209.59.186.200/~metalarc/~metalarc/lineup/edit/bandId/
Thank you for your comprehension.

defyexistance wrote:
It also sounds like he says "The raven licks my asshole" as the first vocal line there. It never fails to crack me up.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:02 am 

I attempted to submit a new report... is it natural that it's not immediately showing up in the Reports queue? >_>;

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:10 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
oneyoudontknow wrote:

Yes. We just add a country column in the listings where necessary.

and what about this band:
http://209.59.186.200/~metalarc/bands/W ... r%29/13055

My podcast:

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:12 am 

Minor Issue:

When submitting a new band, the validation misses a negative value entered in the "Year Formed" field:

It showed up in the Submitted Band as "N/A", but it might be worth chucking that in the validation check as well. :)

oneidontknowpersonally wrote:

They're Nazis, they belong in Germany. :D

(Sorry, this spam-fest is getting to me. xD)

Last edited by Alhadis on Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next